Most people are happy enough with their face, but find that they aren’t as happy with the shape of their nose. When we look in the mirror, the nose is one of the first features we notice, but unfortunately, mirrors can often show us exactly what we don’t want to see.
Noses come in all shapes and sizes and when a person is unhappy with their nose, for whatever reason, that is when they usually decide to visit a cosmetic doctor.
Sometimes it is because they’re unhappy with the way the nose looks, or want to restore the shape of the nose after an injury, have a lump or bump on the top or maybe they just want to have a better profile.
Surgical Nose Job – Over the years, Rhinoplasty, or nose job, has remained one of the top, most requested cosmetic procedures. A rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure used to reshape the nose. This type of operation is usually performed through incisions made on the inside of the nostrils. The surgeon will make cuts inside the nostrils to reach the bone and cartilage. This is ‘closed rhinoplasty’ and means that you shouldn’t have any visible scars. It might be necessary to break the nose bone and reposition it, or reshape the bone and cartilage. The operation can take up to three hours but it will ultimately depend on what you’re having done.
Pro’s and Cons
- A great boost for your self-confidence.
- It can help to ease breathing problems.
- A surgical nose job can reduce the size of your nose.
- It’s a permanent solution for fixing nose shape issues.
- You may suffer numbness and get vein threads on the face.
- Facial bruising around the eyes for the first week.
- Swelling of the nose for the first few months.
- A feeling of congestion may occur.
- Or swelling around the eyes or tear duct issues.
- The procedure is usually carried out under general anaesthetic.
Non-Surgical Nose Job – For those not interested in going under the knife and undergoing a traditional nose job, then the non-surgical nose job option is the one for you.
A Non-surgical nose job is a cosmetic procedure that uses a dermal filler to smooth out nasal bumps and lumps without using a scalpel, and one which will achieve moderate nose shaping. A skilled cosmetic doctor can use dermal fillers to fill depressions or add volume to the nose or in the surrounding tissue to create your desired look. The non surgical nose job is a cosmetic procedure which can level out lumps, lift the angle of the tip or smooth the bumps on the bridge, but what it can’t do is make someone’s nose smaller.
Pro’s and Cons
- It is a great boost for your self-confidence.
- No downtime, you can return to work the following day.
- This procedure is performed using local anaesthetic.
- Fast treatment time and instant dramatic results.
- The cost is a lot less than the price of a surgical nose job.
- Temporary. The fillers last about 10-12 months.
- Won’t make the nose smaller.
- Minimal bruising.
Non surgical nose jobs won’t make the size of the nose smaller. Liquid filler nose jobs actually add to the nose but after injections with filler such as Radiesse, the nose does seem smaller because with the lumps and bumps levelled out it creates an optical illusion. 20 minutes before the procedure the area is given a numbing application. The dermal filler is then expertly injected into the required nasal areas.
Other than some minor bruising, there are generally no side effects from dermal filler treatments, so most people return to work the same day or following day after treatment. There are no bandages or coverings to wear after the injections so most people resume normal activities right away.
The Radiesse filler does not migrate or lump together in the tissues and when it does break down, 8 to 10 months later, it does so symmetrically and evenly.